So... You Want to Quit?


So you want to quit. You want a new career. You're tired of constantly taking care of someone else's kids while your own are basically being ignored. You're tired of fighting bureaucracy. You long to have support, but find that you are on your own.

 Sound familiar? Unfortunately, this is becoming all too common among public school teachers.  I quit. After 21 years, most of which were awesome, I gave it up. My health and peace of mind were too important to ignore. I was tired of the endless, worthless meetings and lack of administrative support. I was tired of a few important names running the school, even though they knew nothing about education or kids.  Oh, I'm still teaching. You may take the teacher out of the classroom, but you can't take the classroom out of the teacher (or something like that).

Too often I read comments from teachers (from all over the world) bemoaning the lack of administrative support, the lack of discipline, or the endless hours spent in preparation and meetings.  Not once do I read comments concerning low pay or about children.  In a nutshell, teachers love their career choice and they love children, but they are asking for a little respect and support. Not much to ask for. It isn't hard to give. So then, why is it so elusive? Is this a current trend? Or is this a forewarning of times to come?

I've addressed this issue before, as many have, but it continues to be widely ignored.  Too often non-educators are putting their noses in the educational arena and leaving teachers on the outside looking in. Too often politicians are making pretty campaign speeches promising things that teachers can't possibly deliver.  Who winds up with egg on their faces? Yep, the teacher.

So.. I've (once again) presented the problem, but where is the solution. Who knows? I'm just one little piece of the puzzle. Who will listen to me? We are all one little piece of the puzzle, but without us, where would the picture be?  Take your last bit of energy and get involved with teacher groups. Find out what teachers in other regions and districts are doing. Be positive and proactive. It may not be a solution, but you will find others in the same boat. There is comfort in finding someone who understands.

And, there are alternatives. There are still places where you can teach without being a part of a large public school system. These idyllic places do exist. I had the privilege of being at one this week. A county school where discipline and respect matter. Where kids are learning. Where teachers and administrators are supporting one another.  The setting is small and the pay is small, but the reward is huge. That may not be possible where you are or it may not fit in with your budget. But, there are options. Teachers make excellent public speakers, trainers,  adjunct instructors, private school teachers, parochial school teachers, or consultants. Don't underestimate yourself. You have talents and training that you can use in multiple ways.

In the meantime, don't give up. Find a support group or friend that understands and cares. And, above all, remember why you are dedicated to this profession... the kids.



Check out my Facebook page, Chocolate 4 Teachers
If you are in need of some thorough reading resources at teacher-friendly prices check out my product previews on my Pinterest page, Chocolate 4 Teachers.
Or... better yet follow my TpT store, Chocolate 4 Teachers  so you will receive emails every time I publish a new resource!




Check it out
Check out  Stonehenge: a complete unit (11 page original fiction story of suspense and 7 non-fiction passages)!!!


















                           Privacy Policy

This blog does not share personal information with third parties nor do I store any information about your visit to this blog other than to analyze and optimize your content and reading experience through the use of cookies. You can turn off the use of cookies at anytime by changing your specific browser settings. I am not responsible for republished content from this blog on other blogs or websites without my permission. This privacy policy is subject to change without notice and was last updated on June 5, 2015. If you have any questions feel free to contact me directly at kimberlyfrencken@gmail.com

4 comments

  1. Thank you for your words of entertainment. I, too hope to reinvent myself after 22 years of teaching. Perhaps a Christian school or a professional development facilitator will be my next calling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New beginnings are always exciting! And scary! I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to Kim but unfortunately I can't. Here, in Algeria, up till 32 years of work, you can't even think of quitting. Otherwise you'll lose your whole career.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is so sad. How long do you have to work before you can consider retirement?

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Hot Topics!

Back to Top