What Do You Look for in a Substitute?

I had specific requirements for subs: 1. don't eat all the candy/food in my desk drawers 2. don't take my favorite pen and 3. don't tell my students that I am wrong. Pretty simple list. Nothing extravagant or demanding.  And, yes, I have had subs that ate everything they could find and take. And, I had to hide my pens because not just my favorite pen was taken, but all of them. This is maddening, but the worst is having my students tell me that the sub said I was wrong. Now, don't misunderstand. I am frequently wrong. I often leap before I look. I am not afraid of admitting to a mistake, but to have another adult tell my kids that I am wrong is not acceptable. Period.

Fast forward a few years. Now, I'm the sub. I traded in full time for semi-retirement. I find myself roaming the halls of my childhood, where I did my student teaching, and my first teaching job. Nostalgic. I love it. No parents. No papers to grade or lessons to write (unless there is something I can do to help the teacher). And, most importantly, NO MEETINGS!!!  I love the feeling of freedom as I leave the building. I have the joy of working with kids. I am able to interact with other educators, but I don't have all the responsibilities.

However, there is one thing (or two or three) that I keep in mind. Never eat the candy. Don't take the pens. And, above all, don't tell the kids that their teacher is wrong.   The first two are just a matter of common courtesy and decency. The last is a matter of respect. It is unfair, among many other things, for a sub to tell students that their teacher is wrong. Kids look up to their teachers and respect them. Subs don't have the right to undermine this relationship.  The relationship that a teacher has with his/her students is precious. An outsider shouldn't step into the classroom for a day and take over. A classroom is a teacher's sanctuary. It is their private, personal space. Their home away from home. A sub doesn't have to agree with all of the teacher's policies or like all of the decor. A sub may not be comfortable with classroom procedures or agree with the teacher's answers to a problem. But, it is not his/her place to redecorate and renovate the classroom or redirect the students.

A word of 'advice' to teachers and districts: Don't assume that all subs are simply people who need something to do or have a day off and need to supplement their income. Don't assume they are someone with no teaching experience. Get to know your subs. Find out what they have done or are doing. Find out what talents they have or areas that are their favorite to teach.  Nothing can be more irritating than a district to schedule PD for subs. PD about student engagement or executing the lesson or classroom management.  Some might benefit from this type of PD. I might even like a refresher course, but don't treat me like I've never set foot in a classroom. Don't talk down to me as if I can't understand what you are saying. Don't treat me like an idiot because I ask a question about procedures or locations. Don't ignore me when I am a guest in your school. Don't give me after school parent-pick-up or bus duties. I don't know what bus each child rides or what parent matches which child. This is a disaster waiting to happen.  Just offer me a smile and support.

Today, someone phrased it quite nicely. A good sub is a lifeline, a band-aid, a rubber band pulling it all together. A good sub allows me to take a sick day, take my child to the doctor, or attend a conference. Without a dependable substitute, being absent would be too difficult. I need someone that can pick up where I left off and offer instruction. I don't expect them to be perfect or to have endless knowledge in my area, but I do expect them to follow the instructions I leave. If a sub does this, they are great. They help me out when I'm in a tight spot.

And that is what I believe a substitute is- a helper in a tight spot. Someone that can come in and carry on when the teacher must be absent.  That is what I expected when I was a full-time teacher and it is what I strive to be now that the roles are reversed.  I love being thought of as a 'life-line' or 'helper'. That is my goal. I want to make the absence as painless as possible.

What do you look for in a substitute?




                                              Triple Chocolate!

Are you following my TpT store, Chocolate 4 Teachers ?
It is easy and it is free! It doesn't cost you anything to click on the green star by my name.
It does offer you rewards- in the way of early notices of product releases and sales. So, why not? Stop by and click that green star today!

Here are some snapshots of works in progress: Hopefully ready this week-end!  (If you click on the green star and follow, you'll know exactly when I publish them)

                                                                 

Make sure you check out my Pinterest boards:   Chocolate 4 Teachers .
And Facebook page: Chocolate 4 Teachers.
And, if you like them, then by all means, Share!

P.S. This page is also a work in progress. I am tweaking it as I have time. I hope you like the new look. I was certainly ready for something fresh!






Privacy Policy
This blog does not share personal information with third parties nor do I store any information about your visit to this blog other than to analyze and optimize your content and reading experience through the use of cookies. You can turn off the use of cookies at anytime by changing your specific browser settings. I am not responsible for republished content from this blog on other blogs or websites without my permission. This privacy policy is subject to change without notice and was last updated on June 5, 2015. If you have any questions feel free to contact me directly at kimberlyfrencken@gmail.com



No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Hot Topics!

Back to Top