Should Teachers Make Learning Fun?

I have a confession. I love games. I have used games to teach everything from figurative language to grammar to various reading skills. I've created games for just about every subject.  I've used games as informal assessments and as a review for state testing.  I love the way a game involves each student. Even reluctant participants or shy students will find themselves getting interested, even if they don't take an active role. It is important for teachers to participate with their students or to actively facilitate to make sure that "natural leaders" don't take over, leaving others out. I believe educational games have a purpose and a place in the classroom, however, the emphasis is on purpose.

 I am not  a movie or a video game. My job is not to entertain. I don't want my students to stare at me. Detached. My job is to teach. I want my students to be involved. School should be interesting, challenging, and engaging. This looks different in different classrooms at different times of the day. What works with one age group won't work with another. Lessons are not a one size fits all package. They vary based on interest and ability. Is it my job to put on a "dog and pony show" to impress and captivate? Absolutely not, but it is my job to create quality lesson that will draw my students into the learning process and instill the desire to continue learning.

The reality is... some things just aren't fun. They are necessary, but they don't have to be boring. A teacher that is excited and passionate about her craft will communicate this joy to her/his students. A teacher that is excited about a subject is contagious. They can turn almost anything into a fascinating learning experience.

So... should teachers make learning fun? A teacher that loves what they do won't have to make learning fun, it will just happen naturally.


Speaking of having fun.... Try this set of task cards. You can turn this into a fun, educational game while reviewing important skills!
ELA task cards and printables


Privacy Policy
This blog does not share personal information with third parties nor do I store any information about your visit to this blog other than to analyze and optimize your content and reading experience through the use of cookies. You can turn off the use of cookies at anytime by changing your specific browser settings. I am not responsible for republished content from this blog on other blogs or websites without my permission. This privacy policy is subject to change without notice and was last updated on June 5, 2015. If you have any questions feel free to contact me directly at kimberlyfrencken@gmail.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Hot Topics!

Back to Top